Thursday, September 18, 2008

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

It seems as though we never have enough time to do all the things that we need to do. In most cases, it is that we have taken on more tasks and responsibilities than we can handle. We must do an honest assessment of the many things jockeying for position on our calendars. When we submit our schedules to the Lord, we may find out that there are many things that we may be doing out of a sense of obligation, guilt, peer pressure, ego, and tradition.

In the growing world of communication, there are several "time bandits" competing for our attention. As we continue to manage movement ministry, work, business, family, health, finances, etc, we must ask ourselves the following questions:

Am I spending more time talking on my cell phone than focusing on my priorities?

Are constant e-mails, text-messages, and instant messages constantly distracting me when I should be working on an important task?

Is social networking taking up time that I should be spending with the Lord or in dance rehearsal?

Are conference calls and online meetings taking up more time in my schedule than they should?

With multiple committments between church, family, and ministry, do I ever really spend the time asking the Lord what He wants me to do in this season?

Am I constantly staying up late and waking up early only to continue the cycle of exhaustion and weariness?

If we discover that we are being robbed of precious time that can be better spent, we must learn how to say "no" with grace. There may be some committees, groups, activities, gatherings, and events that we may have to release and move forward to productivity. We may compromise our health and the success of our ministries and personal lives if we continue to spread ourselves too thin. We must truly trust the Lord to guide our every step. When we do so, he reminds us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

Genesis 43:10 (NKJV)
For if we had not lingered, surely by now we would have returned this second time.”

Ecclesiastes 3:17 (NKJV)
I said in my heart, “God shall judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.”

Acts 17:21 (NKJV)
For all the Athenians and the foreigners who were there spent their time in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.

Acts 18:20-21 (NKJV)
When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, but took leave of them, saying, “I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing.” And he sailed from Ephesus.

No comments: