Wednesday, April 22, 2009

TMI

In this age of growing technology, many movement ministers are connecting online and meeting new friends. I have written time and again how great it is to go worldwide with the Gospel. We must also use wisdom when engaging in cyber-activity.

I am surprised by some of the things that I see posted by others who proclaim the Gospel. In addition to posts containing mild to outright obscenity, questionable pictures are posted that can contradict the message we are trying to preach. In addition to these, people may begin to second-guess our ministries by the friendships that we claim online. For instance, if most of my friends boast of an affinity for narcotics, then it can be assumed that I am indulging in them. If we download videos that glorify fornication, we may be labeled in that category as well. By the way, many of our updates, friendships, and downloads are readily visible to all of our online "friends."

While many of us can comfortably say that we are not guilty of any of these offenses, we must always check our motives for the things that we post. Using the internet to advertise an event may be great (and cost effective), but when someone sees the same advertisement posted multiple times in a row, it may make us appear to be self-promoters without boundaries. If we send a public message to someone to try to make ourselves appear really important, others may think that we are self-ambitious.

There is a difference between sharing a testimony and bragging. A testimony brings glory to God by making it known that the Lord was the solution to the problem. Bragging is when we lead people to believe that through our own goodness and efforts, we were able to be victorious. The Lord is looking at our hearts. What is in our hearts will be revealed through what we say and write. Let's be careful not to reveal too much information.

New King James Bible Version

Psalm 69:5
O God, You know my foolishness; And my sins are not hidden from You.

Proverbs 13:16
Every prudent man acts with knowledge, but a fool lays open his folly.

2 Corinthians 12:6
For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.

No comments: