Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tor-Mentor

It seems as though mentoring is all the rage in the world today. Top dollar is being charged by entrepreneurs, professionals, and many accomplished people in the church. "Be like me," seems to be the selling point for many of these "expert" training systems. Training is orderly and often necessary for us. There are times when mentoring can cross the line.

In the movement ministries, mentoring should never seek to produce exact copies of the teacher. Once, one of my friends in ministry commented on how the ministry that I was training looked "just like me." I was convicted. I realized that the goal was not for them to look like me, but to become who God has designed them to be.

Pray and seek God regarding those who would come into your life that intensely desire to mentor you. I have found that some of my best mentors have been the people who want no public recognition and understand why the Lord brought us together. I have also experienced some who called themselves a mentor in my life, but were really a tormentor.

The enemy always seeks to pervert God's design. We must guard ourselves against ravenous wolves who seek us out for their own gain and notoriety. The goal should always be to look to Christ and not man.

1 Corinthians 11: 1-3 (NKJV)
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you. Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God."

No comments: