Saturday, July 19, 2008

Untitled

The dance ministry is experiencing the same challenges that are hindering the church. Servanthood seems to be regarded as a less honorable goal, and the privilege of being served has emerged in too many movement ministries. The designation of a specific ministerial title or office is relished by many who have forgotten the true purpose of ministry. Jesus Himself became a servant to His disciples and humbled Himself to wash their feet.

It is not that we should not honor those whom the Lord has ordained. Esteeming others maintains humility in our own lives. Those that we applaud should not solely come from our circle of friends. If we have to demand to be called by a specific "title" by others, then are we really operating in the realm that we claim? If we walk in the Light, then who we are cannot be hidden.

Jesus Himself asked Peter to tell Him who He was. He did not have to convince people of His identity. His life and ministry testified for itself. Our lives should also speak for us. When we remember that "minister" means servant, we should remain in a posture of submission so that we do not attempt to rob God of His Glory.

Instead of desiring to be the "Principal Dancer," we should aim to be a servant to the Gospel. Rather than demanding to be esteemed, we should commend others who are laboring for the Kingdom. True honor comes from the Lord. If we have given ourselves labels that the Lord has not designated for us, then we will be found to be liars and deceivers in the end.

Matthew 23:6-8 (NKJV)
They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.

Luke 6:26 (NKJV)
Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

1 Corinthians 15:9-10 (NKJV)
For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

2 Corinthians 12:5-6 (NKJV)
Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.

John 5:44 (NKJV)
How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?

John 5:44 (NKJV)
Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God.

1 Thessalonians 2:5-6 (NKJV)
For neither at any time did we use flattering words, as you know, nor a cloak for covetousness—God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, when we might have made demands as apostles of Christ.

Hebrews 5:5 (NKJV)
So also Christ did not glorify Himself to become High Priest, but it was He who said to Him: “You are My Son, today I have begotten You.”

No comments: