Thursday, May 8, 2008

Shaken and Stirred

Some people experience what is called stage fright. An overwhelming sense of nervousness overtakes them and affects the mind and body at the prospect of standing before other people. God has not given us the spirit of fear. There may be many instances in which the dance minister feels a sense of "nervousness" before ministry that has nothing to do with the fear of others. Often, this sensation is the result of the dancer not knowing for sure what will happen once the music starts and ministry partners with motion.

We should never get to the place of over-confidence in our talents. Trusting in the Lord is required for His will to be done through us. Psalm 111:10 tells us that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..." We tremble in His presence when we realize how great and awesome He is.

The enemy also trembles at the name of Jesus. When we go forth in the name of our Lord, we have no need to fear the tactics of the enemy. Maintaining a righteous lifestyle and relationship with the Lord is essential, or we may find ourselves shaken for the wrong reasons (and standing behind enemy lines).

Incorporating movements that appear to shake and tremble while dancing can have a powerful effect if done with the right intentions. Dancers who may have little training but lots of passion may too often rely on dramatic movements to tell the story. We must know when to tremble and when to stand still. Most importantly, we can rest assured that the movement that the Lord gives us can be referenced in His Word.

Daniel 10:10-11 (NKJV)
Suddenly, a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the palms of my hands. And he said to me, “O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you.” While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling.

Psalm 96:9 (NKJV)
Oh, worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth.

Isaiah 66:2 (NKJV)
For all those things My hand has made, and all those things exist,” Says the LORD. “But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at My word.

James 2:19 (NKJV)
You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!

No comments: