Saturday, February 9, 2008

In and Out

My dance ministry journey has been one of many transitions. When I first starting dancing for Him, a lot of the song selections were "warfare" oriented because we were fighting a school of thought that praise dance was "for the young people." Even our movements were aggressive and forceful as we tried to break down barriers that tried to hold us back.

The Lord then allowed us to transition into a worship phase in which most of our choreography was gracefeul, and the music slow and emotional. Songs of praise and celebration were also frequently used to reflect our newfound joy in Him. I was soon to learn that there was more- MUCH MORE to the ministry of dance than the category of movement in which we may classify a piece.

I used to need at least 2 weeks notice before I would accept a ministry assignment. He has now transitioned me again. I receive phone calls from Pastors and ministry leaders to come minister in dance regarding a particular situation, or demonstrate through movement what the people do not seem to be getting through words alone. In the book of Jeremiah, the prophet was instructed to do many physical demonstrations to show what was to come. I too must be ready to preach the Word through movement when the Lord says so.

2 Timothy 4:1-2 (NKJV)
"I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."

No comments: