Friday, January 18, 2008

Repeat After Me...

At one time or another in our dance ministry journey, we may have selected songs that made us feel good. These songs were inspirational, uplifting, and had us feeling good about ourselves. As we study the Bible and learn more about rightly dividing the Word, we then begin to realize that all songs used for ministry MUST line up with the Word of God.

A few popular songs come to mind. Kirk Franklin's "More Than I Can Bear," states that "He'll never put more on me than I can bear." The Word does not actually say this (I know your Pastor/Bishop/Prophet may have said this several times over the pulpit, but it's not in there). The Bible actually says, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (I Corinthians 10:13) I do not see where is says that God will "put" any of this on us. He causes all things to work together for good.

I have also seen R. Kelly's (yes) "I Believe I Can Fly" danced in the sanctuary. We know that, "..they shall mount up with wings as eagles..." but this song was written for a basketball movie starring Michael Jordan. It is about the idea of flying through the air before making a slam dunk. Many of us have heard Vickie Winans sing "Long As I Got King Jesus (I Don't Need Nobody Else)." In Genesis 2:18 "The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Yes, we definitely need Jesus, but Jesus came here for mankind, not for Himself.

OK... From now on, we will listen closely to see if each song that we dance to is in harmony the Word of God... and also examine who the song is magnifying (us or God). Do not be afraid to step away from anything you find is lacking the true Word of God.

No comments: